Order / shipping questions? Please email concierge (at) fringefocus.com
1. Can I email you about your work, interviews, shenanigans?
Sure! My email is rob (at) fringefocus.com – But please email concierge (at) fringefocus.com if your message is regarding an order / shipment.
2. Where is Fringe Focus located?
Chicago, IL. I have a workshop in Logan Square. It’s awesome.
3. Why are you called Fringe Focus?
Nobody can spell my last name, Loukotka. So ‘Fringe Focus’ is easier to spell. Also I guess it has a bit to do with my wildly varied interests, bringing lots of stuff ‘into focus’. Yeah… something like that.
5. Are your products made in the US?
Absolutely yes. In fact, I go out of my way to source as many materials & tools as possible from the States. Renewable American wood, American paper made from 100% hydroelectric power, even my shipping materials are made here. Half of that is to lessen Fringe Focus’s environmental impact, and half is to support local small businesses (and other independent artists).
1. Is shipping free?
For all United States orders of $70 or more, shipping is free! And shipping is only $6 flat for US orders under $70. Shipping internationally, however, is $20 flat for most orders.
2. What shipping service do you use?
USPS Priority Mail (And USPS First Class for lightweight/small orders). It’s very safe and quick for all United States orders. If you’re ordering internationally, please note that the USPS hands off to your local post company for your country. Most Priority Mail orders (any poster shipped in a tube) take 2 days door to door. First Class orders (small packages or prints in small envelopes) take 3-4 days door to door. Any large poster will ship Priority Mail. Lightweight prints or small items that can be shipped flat may use First Class. International orders also use USPS International First Class, which has no weight limit.
3. How long does an order take to arrive?
I usually ship your order within two (2) weeks (unless otherwise noted). Then the USPS usually takes 2-3 days to arrive to most of the United States (I ship from Chicago). International orders can arrive in as little as two (2) weeks (for countries like Canada), or 6-8 weeks for longer distances (Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc.) It varies wildly by country, so just have patience and it will work out!
4. My poster arrived damaged / bent / covered in blood, can I exchange it?
Usually yes! Email concierge (at) fringefocus.com with a photo of the damage. If I still have that limited edition print in stock, I can mail you another! If that item is all sold out, then I can simply refund your entire purchase price. 99% of orders arrive safely. Open edition prints / items are usually very easy to mail replacements for. No problem!
5. What do you ship posters and art prints in?
Really sturdy shipping tubes, covered in astronauts and deep sea divers! Your posters are rolled carefully in protective kraft paper, and placed securely inside these ‘Explorers’ tubes. The tubes are sealed with black plastic end caps and then taped shut. So it’s incredibly likely your art will arrive in great condition. And you can keep the tube wherever you like, they look pretty damn cool.
Smaller prints are mailed in sturdy cardboard envelopes, with cardboard inserts to keep the package flat. Small wooden items are packed in cardboard boxes with tissue paper / kraft paper.
6. What ELSE comes in your packages? Sometimes GOODIES! I often have Fringe Focus wooden business coins, and a selection of Fringe Focus stickers. But these sometimes have limited availability. If you ever receive a package without a goodie (sticker, coin, or otherwise) please let me know and I can make it right.
7. My international shipping cost is $40 instead of $20, why? I have shipped thousands of packages to nearly every country on Earth. In doing so, I have found a few countries in which shipping First-Class International is not an effective option from the United States. Due to these high costs, I have to charge $40 flat for any packages headed to:
- Brunei (Brunei Darussalam)
Please email concierge (at) fringefocus.com with any order / shipping questions.
Fringe Focus ships out thousands of packages a year. That’s a HUGE opportunity to make thousands of pieces of art 100% sustainable (or close to it), with little to no negative effect on the environment! Some details on how Fringe Focus tries to make Earth better, instead of treating it like a toilet.
- Fringe Focus shipping boxes are 100% recycled material. They’re also 100% recyclable (can be recycled again) & biodegradable (easily decomposed).
- You too can source 100% recycled boxes from Eco-Enclose. Highly recommended.
- All Fringe Focus custom poster tubes are 100% recycled paperboard & are 100% recyclable. We recommend Yazoo Mills instead of shitty suppliers like ULine.
- Note: Currently just the tube end caps are made of plastic. Working on finding a sustainable end cap. Until then try keeping your Fringe Focus poster tube & using it for storage. Or protect your art when you move. Reduce, re-use, recycle!
- There is a 100% recycled paper alternative to bubble wrap! It’s called ‘Greenwrap‘. Great for protecting frames & other fragile packages. Also available at Eco-Enclose.
- Fringe Focus uses kraft paper to protect prints, posters, and frames which is also 100% recycled & recyclable.
Posters and Prints
- Most Fringe Focus posters are printed on cover stock from French Paper Co. in Michigan. This paper plant has run on 100% hydroelectric power since 1922! No fossil fuels are used making the poster paper at the factory! They also use recycled post-consumer fibers, but the percentage varies by color.
- While the majority of prints are on French Paper, a few prints need Mohawk paper which is technically 100% wind-powered. This wind power is purchased via credits post-production, thus good for the environment, but not as ideal as French’s solution.
- All Fringe Focus wood artwork / housewares are produced on renewable hardwoods sourced from sustainable forests in the US.
- Currently our Cherry wood is harvested, and this is the truth, by the Amish… with horses! And hand saws. That means no power whatsoever. Imagine your art starting as a tree, cut down by hand, and pulled by horses!
- Most Fringe Focus posters are screen printed sustainably by VGKids in Michigan. So inks on Fringe Focus posters are water-based and eco-friendly.
- VGKids does direct-to-screen writing. No films. Stops the usage & waste of TONS of plastic for exposing images. Hooray!
- When using the in-house laser cutter, Fringe Focus doesn’t produce any products by lasering plastics / acrylic (bad fumes, VOCs). And if we’re printing with wood blocks, we also use eco-friendly inks.